Bergen R/C Forums Forum Index Bergen R/C Forums
Everything to do with Bergen R/C Helicopters

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Gallons Through My Intrepid Gas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bergen R/C Forums Forum Index -> Intrepid Gasser and EB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: 2 Gallons Through My Intrepid Gas Reply with quote

I now have run 2 gallons of fuel through my motor. 1/2 a gallon of Coleman and the rest 87 Octane gasoline. All mixed at 1 gallon of fuel to 6 ounces of oil. Tached the headspeed to as close as I could get to 1650. There was a point at about 1.25 gallons or so that the headspeed dropped and the motor got a lot smoother. Is this the ring seating?

I upped the t-curve back up and I've begun leaning the low needle. I'm still getting some tail kick and the motor skips a bit at the same time. I richen it and that goes away but I get more tail wag. Will this be helped when I go 5 ounces to 1 gallon of fuel?

I looked at my insulator also and it looks a bit warped. I've ordered the Z-RC aluminium insulator and teflon gaskets I'm hoping this will help a bit too.

I did have a slight mishap today with my bottom mainshaft bearing block coming loose. The two bolts both came out and this caused the the main gear to lose contact with the tail drive shaft gear but I autoed down with no problems. I had flown four tanks by this time during the day and I guess the bolts worked themselves out of the nylocs. I put new ones in with slightly longer bolts to bite a little more. Checked after every flight after and they are holding.

My muffler bolts are also coming out. I've put them in, flown and retightened when everything is hot but it seems like after three or four tanks they loosen up again and need to be tightened. Is this common? Is there a loctite that is required? I think the heat will loosen the red loctite fairly easily.

BTW Chris good job on the new website and the forum!

Cheers, Shayne

Last edited by Herc on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbergen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z-RC insulator will definitely help things as far as maintaining the tuning.

What bolts did you have in the bottom bearing block, what length?

Which muffler are you using, the stock can muffler or the Bergen "unobtainium"?

Where are your needles at right now?

Gary Travis
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't beleive the rpm drop was due to the ring seating. I have seen this acouple of times with the people running coleman. I have also seen a sudden increase in rpm running the white gas. The last time I saw this various rpm change the persons engine leaned out causing the engine to burn up.
It may have been caused by the insulator, as the engine heats up there is a possibility that the insulator sealed better thus eliminating a lean condition making the rpms drop. Go with the Z-RC it's musch better and more consistant. also be careful with the Coleman, I have seen more engine damage running Coleman than anything else.
Gary

Herc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Well, it's three gallons through the bird now. Things have settled in nicely. Got the Z-RC insulator on and there's no more inconsistent running.

Now to tweak the curves and I've ordered an optical tach to get the headspeed dialed in better. Things are looking good.

Thanks for the help everyone!

BTW: the muffler has been staying on tight with the RTV.

Shayne
v22chap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shayne ,, glad the EB is going ,,that RTV is wonderful stuff as is the Z-RC insulator Wink Cool
Good luck with the tweaking .

Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bergen R/C Forums Forum Index -> Intrepid Gasser and EB All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: